May 19, 2026

2,800 Former Kaduna Textile Workers Die Awaiting Unpaid Benefits

By Samuel Ogunsona

More than 2,800 former textile workers and their dependants have died while awaiting unpaid gratuities and compensation, according to the Kaduna State chapter of the Coalition of Closed Unpaid Textile Workers of Nigeria.

The coalition said the affected workers, who lost their livelihoods following the collapse of four textile companies, had endured decades of hardship without receiving their entitlements.

In a statement jointly signed by the coalition’s President/Chairman, Jeibe Wordam, and Secretary, Samuel Ibrahim, the group said: “We have suffered decades of hardship following the collapse of Kaduna Textiles Limited, Arewa Textiles Plc, Nortex, and Fine Tex Limited.”

The coalition explained that the companies shut down between 2002 and 2004 without settling terminal benefits, leaving more than 9,000 employees without a source of income. Kaduna Textiles Limited closed in 2002, while Nortex and Fine Tex ceased operations in 2003. Arewa Textiles Plc shut down in December 2004.

According to the group, repeated appeals, protests, and engagements with relevant authorities have failed to yield results, while the affected companies have shown little commitment to settling the outstanding entitlements.

The coalition described the deteriorating living conditions faced by many former workers, stating that several had become impoverished and hopeless. It added that widows and children of deceased workers were experiencing severe hardship, including an inability to afford healthcare and education.

The group further noted that rising living costs had compounded the workers’ difficulties. Many of the affected individuals are now above the age of 60 and can no longer secure employment or establish small businesses due to a lack of capital.

The workers recalled that they had previously petitioned the House of Representatives during the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari and were invited to Abuja for a hearing. However, the matter remained unresolved before the expiration of the Ninth National Assembly.

They are now appealing to President Bola Tinubu, the 10th National Assembly, the Nigeria Governors’ Forum, the Northern Governors’ Forum, civil society organisations, traditional rulers, and international sympathisers to intervene and facilitate payment of the N35 billion they claim is owed to them.

Join our WhatsApp Channel

Read Previous

UUTH Health Workers Suspend Strike After EFCC Apology Over Hospital Raid

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

0 Shares